The Sr. Materials Manager is the owner of the internal and external supply chain which includes Procurement, Production Control/Planning, Shipping, Receiving and Stockroom. The Sr. Materials Manager oversees the timely supply of production materials to support customer delivery, quality, and regulatory requirements while supporting company growth and financial performance objectives. The Sr. Materials Manager is responsible for Materials staff training, development, and for monitoring job performance. The Sr. Materials Manager acts as liaison with Manufacturing, Finance, Customer Service/Contracts, Quality and other departments as required.
- Develop and monitor department driver measures and critical performance indicators. Oversee development and maintenance of supplier performance data base.
- Resource planning, allocation and deployment. Create and maintain a robust, cross-trained network of department personnel through training and performance evaluation. Coach and mentor staff. Time and Attendance.
- Ensure appropriate contractual flow down to supply chain partners.
- Ensure delivery of materials to support the production process while minimizing inventory and raw material costs.
- Oversee material cost control and inventory management.
- Sponsor and lead process improvement/optimization efforts and ensure sustainment of completed initiatives.
- Provide advice and counsel on Supply Chain Issues to the President and Senior Staff. Develop and implement department strategies to support Policy Deployment process.
- Work effectively across organizational boundaries and lead resolution of Materials issues with customers, suppliers and TA stakeholders.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Daily execution within Esterline Operating System (EOS). Communicate and reinforce EOS through demonstrated commitment to the prescribed principles, tactics, and behaviors.
- Develop and administer department budget.
- Actively participate in demand planning and related SIOP activities.
- Actively participate in ESL corporate sourcing initiatives and collaborate with Supply Chain professionals at other ESL sites.
- Ensure Compliance with EH&S, Trade Right, Ethics and Business Conduct, Quality Policy and all established operating procedures.
- Seek and maintain currency on systems/processes/equipment and technological innovations through benchmarking, networking, and industry associations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Solid core knowledge of Lean concepts and Continuous Improvement theory/techniques. Solid track record of proactively pursuing and sustaining successful Continuous Improvement activities.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint. Power user in databases i.e., Excel, Access and /or other relational database software.
- Must be able to work effectively with minimal supervision and multitask to manage routine tasks in addition to special projects.
- Excellent responsiveness and customer focus in a fast-paced environment
Education/Previous Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree preferably in business, operations management or materials management from a four-year college or university.
- MBA preferred
- 5 - 10 years of progressive Supply Chain experience in high mix/low volume/short lead time aerospace manufacturing environment.
- 5 or more years of supervisory experience
- APICS CPIM certification and affiliation and/or APICS membership is highly desirable
- Experience with implementation of an ERP/MRP II system
- Experience in a union environment desirable.
Demonstrated ability in the Esterline competencies for a Manager:
- Approachability - Easy to talk to, able to put others at ease.
- Directing Others - Sets direction, distributes work, lays out clear plans, is organized.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Relates well to others and can build rapport across the organization
- Motivating Others - Empowers others, creates a climate in which people want to do their best, shares ownership and visibility.
- Sizing Up People - Good judge of talent; sees the importance of effectively using each person’s strengths.
- Organizing - Able to orchestrate effective use of all available resources.
- Planning - Ability to develop schedules and task/people assignments.
- Priority Setting - Able to quickly zero in on the critical few leaving the trivial many.
- Building Effective teams - Knows when and how to use teams and uses them effectively.
- Managerial Courage - Takes appropriate action when necessary; faces up to problem people or situations.
- Fairness to Direct Reports - Treats employees as adults and maintains equitable relationships
- Drive for Results - Reliable performer who can be counted on to achieve consistent results.
Please note that all information in this job description is accurate at the time of posting. Please be aware that companies may change details and/or closing dates without notice.